Detachmant Survival Guide
This is an abstract of the duties and privileges that come with being a 501st Detachment Leader in the world’s premiere Imperial costuming organization.
- “To educate the masses to reach a standard and become better educated costumers is the highest goal of a Detachment Leader.”
The Election Process
Before the Nomination phase of the Elections it is the Detachment Leader’s responsibility to ensure that the Detachment Roster is clear of remove requests, add requests as well as retired and inactive members.
- After the nomination phase, which occurs on the Legion boards, The Detachment Leader should set up a question and answer forum for each of the nominees who have accepted the nomination for Detachment Leader.
- If the Detachment Leader is one of the nominees or is running for office, The Executive Officer, Detachment Captain of the guard should moderate the forums for the remainder of the election process. Additionally the Detachment Leader should recuse his or herself from moderating the election forums.
STAFFING THE DETACHMENT
Following the elections, the outgoing DL should provide the DL Elect with the following if available to him:
- Administrative access to the forums (If Applicable)
- Usernames and passwords for FTP, and web site.
- The Detachment leader’s survival Guide
- Phone roster if any
- List of ongoing issues and or projects
- A digital file of all text or spreadsheet files.
- All vector copies of logo
- Copies of current or ongoing projects where art files are involved.
The Detachment Leader may address the needs of the Detachment by appointing any of the following as deemed necessary for the good of the Detachment. Membership on the Detachment Roster may not be required for all positions.
- Executive Officer (Must be a member of the Detachment): The role of the Executive Officer within the Detachment is varied and dependant on the Detachment Leader. General duties which may be required of a Detachment Executive officer may include by are not limited to:
- Directing Detachment merchandising runs in the absence of another appointed member by the DL.
- Acting on behalf of the Detachment Leader.
- Various other duties as assigned.
- Detachment Captain of the Guard/ Sergeant at Arms (Must be a member of the Detachment)
- Who acts on behalf of the Detachment Leadership to moderate the forums
- Who settles disputes within the Detachment
- Detachment Merchandise and Branding Officer (Must be a member of the Detachment)
- Who organizes and directs Detachment Merchandise procurement and creation.
- Detachment Web Master (Does not have to be a member of the Detachment)
- Who creates, maintains, and designs all aspects of the Detachments web presence including but not limited to Web Site creation and maintenance/Forums/Signature bars and banners/hooks and plug-in installations for the Detachment Forums. Graphic Design.
Each Detachment Leader may have a different way of viewing these offices and may see the need for none or some of them. The Legion only recognizes the Detachment Leader and his or her Executive Officer. Some unit’s may use alternative titles such as Sergeant at arms in substitution for the title Captain of the guard. This is allowable. It’s also a good idea to publicly post the name, title and job description of each member of the Admin Staff so that members will understand who to go to for each individual need.
The Detachment Leader may also create and appoint additional staff positions to assist in the operation of the Detachment. Examples of optional positions include: Forum Moderators, Special project leaders (special event or merchandise coordinators, CRL or costume review committees, mentors, historians, costume experts, etc.)
Setting up the Forums
Most Unit forums are set up in this way:
Required "Members" - general forum members who are not part of the 501st "Detachment Members" - these are 501st users who also hold a detachment costume in question and have registered on the forum at least once a year
Optional 501st Member - this is not a detachment member, but is otherwise person of the 501st Legion.
It is recommended for Detachments to have all three areas the only real need for a detachment member only area for:
- Polls on costume standards, detachment charters, etc.
- Detachment Only Merchandise (if any)
Some areas of the forum must be public and open to general inspection by the public at large Such as CRL Entries (Not necessarily CRL work in progress). Frequently asked questions (FAQ), Forum Rules, and Standard Operations procedure (S.O.P.)
One the most important, albeit, one of the most neglected duties of the Detachment leader’s administrative functions is that of the Detachment Roster. The Detachment Roster will show who the Detachment membership is, and a well maintained roster will save the Detachment Leader a lot of time and aggravation come election time. The members present on the roster are those individuals who, in good standing, are eligible to vote in Detachment elections. The Detachment Roster may be viewed and edited only on the Main 501st Legion forums. To access the roster simply log in to the 501st Legion forums. On the left side bar menu look for membership DB as outlined below: