For 501st approval:
- The shin guards are gloss black.
- Each shin guard covers the leg from the ankle to the knee, and at least one half the leg when viewed from the side.
- The knee is shaped like a cut diamond.
- Below the knee are six small square protrusions in a horizontal line (three on each side).
- On each side of the raised center section, long "U" shaped cutout's start at mid-armor height, and gradually increases in depth.
- The shin guards are attached by at lease two straps that go around the boot.
- Version comparison and details.
|For Advanced Status certification (mandatory upgrade):|
- Both shin guards should slightly contour to each leg (right and left specific).
- The right shin guard is taller than the left.
- On both shin guards, the “U” shaped cutout on the wearer's left is longer.